The Department of Chemistry is one of four Departments in the School of Physical Sciences. It was started in 1956 under the Faculty of Science offering sub-degree courses in Chemistry of the then Royal Technical College.
To visit the Department of Chemistry CLICK HERE
The degree courses gained full status in 1961 when the Royal Technical College became the Royal College, Nairobi. During these early days, the Department was located at Main Campus in the present Hyslop Building. The department moved from Main Campus to Chiromo Campus in 1974 after completion of Physical Sciences Complex.
The Department has fully equipped laboratories as well as adequate facilities for teaching and research. Both undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes are offered in the Department. To facilitate the learning process, seminars, conferences and workshops are held in which various topics and issues of current scientific interest are discussed.